How to Make Great Spaghetti Bolognese
Get a great meal with quality on your plate by selecting your local butcher for all your cuts and ready to cook meal heroes.
2 Tablespoons Oil
1 Brown Onion
1 Clove Garlic
500gms Beef Mince
1 Tablespoon Sweet Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1 Tablespoon Beef Stock Powder
3 Cups Passata
1/4 Cup Sweet Red Wine
Salt & Pepper to Taste.
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the chopped brown onion. Adding a little bit of salt to the onion will speed up the cooking process as it draws the water out of the onion.
2. Once the onion is clear and the sugars inside have been released add the crushed clove of garlic and stir until just brown to create a mellow flavour. Do not burn the garlic or it will leave an acrid flavour through the entire dish.
3. Add the mince and stir over constant heat to caramelised it so that you are adding a rich flavour to the meal.
4. Once the meat is brown add the sweet paprika, chilli powder, oregano and beef stock powder and mix well before adding the passata.
5. Pour the sweet red wine into the passata bottle and shake before pouring all remaining passata and wine into the bolognese sauce.
6. Simmer the sauce for at least 25 minutes to ensure that most of the alcohol from the wine has evaporated and the flavours have had time to develop.
7. While the sauce is simmering boil a large pot of salted water. Add just enough salt to flavour the pasta without oversalting it.
8. When the water is fully boiling add the pasta to the water and cook until al dente or just slightly hard in the middle when bitten.
9. Drain the pasta and return it to the pan with a teaspoon of oil. Toss the oil through the pasta to increase the flavour and stop the pasta sticking to itself.
10. Serve the pasta topped with the bolognese sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.